Proposition 300

Proposition 300, passed by Arizona voters in November 2006, stipulates that college students who are not legal United States citizens or are without lawful immigration status must pay out-of-state tuition, and that persons who are not United States citizens or who are without lawful immigration status are not eligible for financial assistance using state money.

Eastern Arizona College continues to admit all qualified students. Proposition 300 does not affect whether a student can attend EAC, but rather whether a student pays in-state or out-of-state tuition or is eligible to receive financial aid subsidized or paid in whole or in part by the state.


Out-of-State Tuition

The law requires that those who do not show proof of US citizenship or lawful immigration status are to pay out-of-state tuition. Students not verified as in-state under prop 300 pay out-of-state tuition rates.


Demonstrating In-state Eligibility

Citizenship or legal status may have been pre-verified for EAC students that are or have been employees of the college and for EAC students that have applied for federal financial aid. All other Arizona students must provide documentation of citizenship or legal resident status to the Records and Registration Office in order to be eligible for in-state tuition. This documentation may be faxed, scanned and emailed, copied and mailed, or presented in person.


(928) 428-3729



Eastern Arizona College
Records and Registration
615 N. Stadium Ave
Thatcher, Arizona 85552

Acceptable Forms of Documentation

The Legislature and the federal government have designated several forms of documentation that the College will accept as evidence of citizenship, permanent residence or lawful presence.  The College will keep a copy on file and record that fact in the student record system. The College will accept legible copies of any of the following documents:


Primary Forms of Documentation --

Students should present ONE of the following (legible photocopy with no evidence of tampering is acceptable):

  • Unexpired Arizona driver's license, instruction permit or non-operator ID issued after October 1, 1996;

  • Drivers's license, instruction permit or non-operator ID issued by another U.S. state or possession that verifies lawful presence. Those must be dated after 2000 and prior to 2015. States for which licenses are not acceptable are Hawaii, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oregon, Texas, Utah, and Washington, as these states do not verify lawful presence in the U.S.;

  • Birth certificate verifying citizenship to the satisfaction of the College (U.S. state, District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, Swain's Island, Northern Mariana Islands, other U.S. territory or possession);

  • U.S. passport, current or expired;

  • U.S. certificate of naturalization (N-550 or N-570);

  • U.S. certificate of citizenship (N-560 or N-561);

  • BIA or tribal identification card;

  • BIA or tribal affidavit of birth;

  • Tribal certificate of Indian blood;

  • U.S. State Department certificate of birth abroad (FS-240, FS-545, or DS-1350);

  • Foreign passport with U.S. visa;

  • USCIS I-94 or I-94A form (arrival/departure record);

  • Resident alien card;

  • U.S. military DD-214;

  • U.S. military ID card (active duty, reserve or retired);

  • Affidavit of identification (with photo and within 15 days of issue) from Arizona Department of Corrections;

  • Released offender identification from Arizona Department of Corrections;

  • U.S. permanent resident or resident alien card (Form I-551);

  • U.S. alien registration receipt card (Form I-151);

  • U.S. machine-readable immigrant visa in foreign passport (within one year after date of endorsement);

  • U.S. travel document (mint green cover) endorsed,

    • "permit to re-enter Form I-327"

    • "refugee travel document Form I-571";

  • U.S. application for voluntary departure under the family unity program (Form I-797);

  • U.S. temporary resident card (Form I-688);

  • U.S. notice of approval to apply for permanent residents (Form I-171 or I-464);

  • Other documentation issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services or representing a status permitted under 8 U.S. Code § § 1621 and 1641


Secondary Forms of Documentation --

In lieu of a Primary document from the list above, the student may present TWO of the following, provided that one is a photo ID and one shows date of birth (legible photocopies with no evidence of tampering are acceptable).

  • Driver's license, instruction permit, or non-operator ID issued by another U.S. state or possession that does not verify lawful presence;

  • U.S. military dependent ID card;

  • U.S. armed forces driver's license;

  • Social security card;

  • Motor vehicle record or clearance letter (within 30 days of issue);

  • Legal guardian affidavit;

  • Selective service card;

  • W-2 form;

  • U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs card